First of all, I just want to say how honored I am to have been included in this! I haven’t written in several months, and it seems this is just what I needed to get back into the swing of things. A huge thank you to Patrice at Wild Currents for the nomination! (https://wildcurrentsblog.wordpress.com/)
I did not know of this award until my nomination, so I will include the rules below. Basically it is a way to help encourage and support other ‘new’ bloggers – typically those with under 200 followers. Below are my answers to Patrice’s questions:
- What compels you to keep a blog? I began writing my blog as an outlet for some of the things I struggle with. I have always kept a journal, and I finally decided to put myself ‘out there’ and see what happens. I’m so thankful I did! The support from everyone has been completely overwhelming!
- What stifles your creative process? The everyday grind…With working two jobs, going to school, dating and maintaining some semblance of a social life, I’m mentally exhausted once I get home in the evenings. One day I will be more organized and disciplined to stick with it and be more consistent!
- Tell me one thing about yourself that would surprise me.
- Dog person? Cat person? Neither? Both? I have 3 cats and a dog! I love my pup to pieces, but I’m definitely a cat person. I like to have my own space, a dog just needs that constant affirmation that I can’t always give. 🙂 I’m a huge animal lover though, I would never turn an animal away no matter what kind it is!
- Tell me something special about the place that you live? It could be your home, city or country. I live in an old apartment building, it isn’t without its flaws, but I LOVE it! Many days I find myself lost in though, just imagining the people who lived here before me and where their lives led them.
- Music is my therapy … recommend some songs for me. Anything by Rachael Yamagata, Ray Lamontagne, City & Colour, or Missy Higgins!!!
- What book/books are you reading right now? Social Psychology & Theories of Personality for school 🙂 The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler, and The Drowning by Camilla Lackberg.
- Introvert or extrovert? Definitely an Introvert. I can go days without being around other people and still be perfectly happy! I am completely exhausted from a busy day with friends or work.
- Do you listen to music when you write? What kind? Absolutely. Music helps calm me, it helps me to just relax and focus, to find the words or thoughts I’ve stifled throughout the day. Mostly singer/songwriger, see recommendations from question number 6. 🙂
- Do you write in solitude or in public? Typically in my own home. I do find inspiration when I am out and about, I have several ideas that I have jotted down on napkins that I eventually compile into a posting.
- Do you have a dedicated writing space? I do have a desk at a window that overlooks the street and an empty lot. I do like to sit there sometimes and watch the world go by, but usually I write when I am laying in bed.
Now if you look up the rules to this, some will say you give 11 facts about yourself. Other versions do not include this part, but I thought it would be fun. Feel free to try it if you want! 🙂 I really am not sure if I can come up with 11 interesting things, so bear with me please!
- I absolutely adore rain or snow. I feel like it represents a cleansing of our world, and it’s the chance to start new. Anytime I’m feeling down, or really struggling with something, it seems that a good rainstorm does the trick to help me focus on the good things happening and to snap out of a crummy mood!
- I have 3 cats & 1 dog….all in a small apartment. It’s a little overwhelming at times, and I spend a lot of time cleaning house but it is absolutely worth it! A year ago I only had one cat with me, the others have all just been ‘donated’. hehe They each have a unique personality and I believe that animals represent purity and innocence. If only we could all love unconditionally as dogs do, the world would be a better place!
- I drink too much coffee. Typically about 4-6 cups throughout the day. I know how horrible that is for me, and I’m sure that’s partly to blame for why I don’t feel great most days. But it’s so warm and sweet (I like a little bit of coffee with my creamer) I just can’t help myself!
- My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. Obviously for the food (I could eat a whole bowl of mashed potatoes!!) But this is the time of the year when it’s cool enough to enjoy some hot cocoa and a bonfire, yet warm enough to actually want to spend time outdoors. I love the giving and loving nature of people around the holidays and pray that it could last all year.
- To piggy-back off of the last fact, I go a little crazy with Christmas music. I will randomly listen to it throughout the year, but anyone close to me gets so sick and tired of it once Thanksgiving hits! 🙂
- A Beautiful Mind is one of my all time favorite movies. My mom purchased it for me when if first came out and I know it really jump-started my desire to pursue Psychology and to truly help others.
- I recently began the art of meditation. I’m still trying to make myself do this everyday, even if it is only for 10 minutes or so. It is amazing the difference it will make in your attitude! I use this as a time to just be still and clear my mind, to just listen to my breathing and relax.
- I believe that true friendships can withstand any distance or time. One of my best friends recently moved to California, we talk more now than when she was only 2 hours away. I know that no matter what is going on in my life, I can pick up the phone and call or text her. She is always completely supportive and gives the best advice! We have had times where we may not see each other for two years, or it may be a month between us texting or calling, but we always pick up right where we left off! I have had other friends come and go, who were still great people, but if I didn’t have time to see them every week they would get offended and become distant.
- In relation to my blog, I know it isn’t always cheerful and upbeat, but I have tried to hide who I am and my struggles from those around me for so long, that I finally made the decision to go public with it.
- Despite the obvious struggles, I tend to be more adventurous and hungry for life experiences. I’m always up for a hike or a road trip. I thirst for culture and experiencing new settings and people!
Last but not least, I will nominate the following recipients for this award, and to answer the 11 questions to follow.
- What is your favorite time of year and why? (Season, holiday, etc.)
- Tell me about a guilty pleasure of yours. Maybe a favorite treat, television show, movie, restaurant..anything!
- What made you decide to start a blog? Did you have a certain goal or purpose in mind when you began?
- What is the most important thing you wish to accomplish in your life?
- What is your favorite song?
- When you are feeling low, what things do you do to snap out of it?
- If you could live anywhere in the world or have any job, what would they be?
- What is one thing you absolutely can’t live without?
- What are your biggest pet peeves?
- Do you believe in giving second chances? Why or why not?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
Last but not least, I nominate the following blogs! Again, you are not required to do this, but it is a fun way to get to know each other and help recognize others for their hard work! I had a very difficult time narrowing these down, but here is a (very shortened) list of some of my favorite blogs to check in on. If you would, please take a minute to check out their blogs and give them each feedback – we’re all in this together!